About Community Change and Community Change Action:
Community Change builds the power and capacity of low-income people, especially low-income people of color, to lead powerful and dynamic movements for social change. With our community-based partner groups, we bridge the grassroots and the national, supporting outsider strategies to disrupt the status quo while also building pathways to influence the insider conversation.
Our vision of a better world centers the leadership of impacted people of color to move our work on immigrant rights, economic justice, and racial equity, including a focus on jobs and housing, early childhood care and education, income supports, and immigration reform.
This position also supports Community Change Action , an affiliated 501(c)(4) advocacy organization. While motivated by the same core values – equity, inclusion, and justice – Community Change and Community Change Action operate independently of one another and each organization has its own board of directors.
Community Change is looking for a fall intern on our Communications Team. The intern will be focused on learning from and providing general media relations support, including building press lists, keeping up with influencers, managing social media accounts, and assisting with press outreach for events. We are looking for a student or part time professional with a passion for social justice, community organizing and multimedia storytelling. This is an opportunity to join a creative team of celebrated community leaders, steeped policy gurus, savvy media geeks and nimble tech wizards.
Key Responsibilities (with training and direction from Communications Team staff):
- Strategize audience development and engagement plans across social media platforms.
- Manage Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Assist with press outreach, including call downs and pitches; track coverage for events in D.C. and in the field.
- Attend and assist teams with marches, rallies and protests in D.C.
- Build and/or maintain existing press lists.
- Research and maintain influencer outreach database; strategize outreach pitches.
- General research and other duties as assigned.
- Applicants should have Media Studies/Communications/Marketing/Film experience, preferably enrolled in a college or university program.
- Passion for social justice issues and community organizing.
- Commitment to the collaborative processes of production.
- Strong communications and organizational skills.
- Commitment to economic, race and gender justice essential.
This position reports to: Senior Media Specialist
This internship runs from November 2018 through the Spring of 2019 (exact dates flexible). Scheduling is flexible and determined based upon the intern’s availability and course/exam schedule. A transportation stipend of $1500 for the entire internship is provided to offset commuting costs. The internship can be used for academic credit in accordance with a curriculum specified by an institution of higher education.
This position is located in Washington, D.C.
How to apply: Please click here to submit a cover letter telling us why you’d rock this internship, a resume and three writing samples.
Community Change is an Equal Opportunity Employer