About Community Change and Community Change Action:
Community Change builds the power and capacity of low-income people, especially low-income people of color, to lead powerful and dynamic movements for social change. With our community-based partner groups, we bridge the grassroots and the national, supporting outsider strategies to disrupt the status quo while also building pathways to influence the insider conversation.
Our vision of a better world centers the leadership of impacted people of color to move our work on immigrant rights, economic justice, and racial equity, including a focus on jobs and housing, early childhood care and education, income supports, and immigration reform.
This position also supports Community Change Action , an affiliated 501(c)(4) advocacy organization. While motivated by the same core values – equity, inclusion, and justice – Community Change and Community Change Action operate independently of one another and each organization has its own board of directors.
The Deputy Director of Finance will provide an innovative and collaborative approach to maintain and promote the financial health of Community Change and Community Change Action. The Deputy Director manage daily financial operations, budgeting, reporting, and financial compliance. The Deputy Director will supervise the Senior Accounting Manager and manage the outsourced accounting relationship.
- Manage the daily activities of the Finance Team at Community Change, including oversight of the accounting functions, cash receipts, revenue and grants management, and budgeting. Ensure that all activities are captured and processed in a timely, complete and accurate manner.
- Oversee the monthly financial close process to ensure it is completed in a timely, efficient and complete manner. Coordinate receipt of data from other departments to ensure general ledger reflects all monthly activity. Play lead role in problem resolution.
- Provide development and review of proposal budgets, grant financial reports, and revenue projections.
- Coordinate and manage the annual financial audit and timely completion of year-end tax reporting.
- Oversee and review the monthly reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts including bank accounts, accounts receivable, investments, fixed assets, other assets, accounts payable and other liability accounts.
- Oversee and review the recording of monthly allocation entries; work closely with Director of Operations & Finance to ensure timely update and adjustment of allocation methodologies.
- Review monthly financial statements working with staff and accountants to post appropriate adjustments.
- Oversee timely review and correction of financial inputs, trial balance, and general ledger detail to ensure proper and consistent recording of the organizations’ activities.
- Review quarterly and annual financial statements prepared by accountants.
- Produce reports for Board of Directors and Management.
- Work closely with Director of Operations & Finance and Project Managers to research and develop strategies or special processes to support program efforts.
- Assist Director of Operations & Finance in preparation of annual budget.
- Assist Director of Operations & Finance with special projects, reporting & analysis.
- Manage filing of subsidiary financial reports, invoices, cash receipts, tax filings, and other government filings.
- Maintain and promote use of effective financial controls, procedures and systems; update, and/or create required documentation on procedures, processes and policies.
- Makes hiring recommendations for the department, trains and evaluates finance staff on day-to-day functions.
- Other projects, as assigned.
- Commitment to Community Change’s mission and values.
- Minimum 7 years experience in nonprofit financial management or accounting, including 3 years experience supervising staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, business, accounting or relevant field, MBA, MPA, or CPA a plus.
- Proven experience in managing a finance team.
- Proven experience in executing monthly financial close processes.
- High proficiency in the use of Excel and computer based accounting systems, preferably experience with Blackbaud’s Financial Edge.
- Knowledge of financial principles and practices in nonprofit organizations, including 501(c)(3) AND 501(c)(4) activity.
- Proven ability to plan and implement financial systems and procedures which allow an organization to operate efficiently.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and work under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability in managing multiple staff.
- Initiative and ability to research, recommend and implement problem resolution.
- Ability to work in a small team environment and with all levels of staff and management.
This position reports to: Director of Operations & Finance
Supervisory Responsibility: Position supervises Senior Accounting Manager, temporary staffing, and outsourced accountants.
Community Change recognizes a staff bargaining unit affiliated with IFPTE Local 70, a union for non-profit workers. This position is not included in Community Change’s bargaining unit and therefore not covered under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.
Salary and Benefits: $80,000 – $95,000 annual salary. Community Change also offers an excellent benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of annual paid vacation; additional paid holiday leave between December 24 and January 1; 8% employer contribution to retirement account after six months of employment (and 3% employer contribution for the first 6 months); and a choice of generous health insurance plans.
This position is located in Washington, DC.
Closing Date of Position: Open Until Filled
How to apply: Please click here to submit a cover letter sharing your personal interest as well as salary expectations, a resume, and two writing samples.
Community Change is an Equal Opportunity Employer