About Community Change and Community Change Action:
Community Change builds the power and capacity of low-income people, especially low-income people of color, to lead powerful and dynamic movements for social change. With our community-based partner groups, we bridge the grassroots and the national, supporting outsider strategies to disrupt the status quo while also building pathways to influence the insider conversation.
Our vision of a better world centers the leadership of impacted people of color to move our work on immigrant rights, economic justice, and racial equity, including a focus on jobs and housing, early childhood care and education, income supports, and immigration reform.
This position also supports Community Change Action , an affiliated 501(c)(4) advocacy organization. While motivated by the same core values – equity, inclusion, and justice – Community Change and Community Change Action operate independently of one another and each organization has its own board of directors.
The Policy Fellow will work 15 hours a week, and will play a role in helping to research, develop and advance policy and legislative proposals relating to existing and future priority areas identified by Community Change and grassroots groups around the country. Current priorities include poverty reduction, immigration reform, economic justice, and reinvestment. S/he will be part of the Policy Team at Community Change which is responsible for working with other Community Change staff and local organizations to advance Community Change’s legislative agenda before Congress and the Administration, as well as supporting Community Change and local groups’ efforts to advance policy initiatives at the state and local levels. Work will be done in close coordination with our communications and organizing staff and will also involve work with other DC-based national organizations that are working on priority issues.
This position may do occasional work for Community Change’s sister organization, Community Change Action.
- Conduct policy and legislative research in support of Community Changeand partner initiatives to impact national, state and local policies.
- Track national, state and local policy and legislative developments and activities relevant to Community Change
- Work closely with Policy Team staff on a range of projects relating to research and development of policy issues and campaigns at the state or local level.
- Help keep Community Change staff and partner groups updated on relevant policy/legislative developments.
- Help develop and disseminate relevant information to national and local partners, policy makers, the media and communities.
- Commitment to Community Change’s mission of helping low-income people develop the power and capacity to improve their communities and bring about broader social change.
- Experience in policy and legislative research.
- Excellent research, writing, and oral communication skills.
- The ability to work under deadlines, and produce consistent, quality work in a fast-paced environment.
- Well-organized and attentive to details.
- Current graduate level students preferred.
- Commitment to economic, race and gender justice essential.
This position reports to: Director of Public Policy or the Deputy Director of Public Policy
This position is for the Summer of 2019.
This is a paid position. Candidates who have fellowship funding are also encouraged to apply. Community Change will also work with candidates to help secure graduate course credit.
This position is located in Washington, DC.
How to apply: Please click here to submit your resume along with a letter expressing why you are interested, and two writing samples.
Community Change is an Equal Opportunity Employer