About Community Change and Community Change Action:
Community Change builds the power and capacity of low-income people, especially low-income people of color, to lead powerful and dynamic movements for social change. With our community-based partner groups, we bridge the grassroots and the national, supporting outsider strategies to disrupt the status quo while also building pathways to influence the insider conversation.
Our vision of a better world centers the leadership of impacted people of color to move our work on immigrant rights, economic justice, and racial equity, including a focus on jobs and housing, early childhood care and education, income supports, and immigration reform.
This position also supports Community Change Action , an affiliated 501(c)(4) advocacy organization. While motivated by the same core values – equity, inclusion, and justice – Community Change and Community Change Action operate independently of one another and each organization has its own board of directors.
The Senior Development Strategist (Writer) assists the Deputy Director of Development Strategy and Senior Writer in raising over $20 million from foundations and major gifts to support Community Change and Community Change Action, with a particular focus on foundation fundraising. This includes producing a large amount of nuanced written material under deadline; participating in foundation strategy development; tracking deadlines and completion of certain fundraising tasks; and managing information and relationships.
The Senior Development Strategist (Writer) leads fundraising for the organization’s economic justice grants portfolio with a primary focus on sustaining and increasing support from existing funders, supporting the cultivation and solicitation of new funders, writing a variety of funder-focused content, and supporting the team’s writing needs (e.g. editing, writing updates for funder communications, etc.).
- Develop subject matter expertise on programs within their portfolio;
- Work in close collaboration with program director(s) to translate program objectives into grant deliverables, and make a compelling case to funders to increase support for our programs;
- Support the planning and execution of fundraising strategies and revenue pipelines, working closely with Community Change and Community Change Action’s Institutional Advancement (IA) staff in partnership with the Finance and Executive teams;
- Develop content to support the programs in the economic justice portfolio, which will include writing grant proposals and reports that set the stage for renewals, as well as case statements, concept notes, organizational and program overviews, donor updates, and other materials such as the annual report; and
- Track all funder communications in Raiser’s Edge and other constituent and grants management systems.
The Senior Development Strategist (Writer) will be a sharp and persuasive writer who is curious and adaptable. S/he sees fundraising as their contribution to the movement for social justice and is committed to using their work to advance the struggle for immigrant rights, economic justice, and racial equity. Community Change and Community Change Action regard funders as key partners and collaborators, which means IA works closely with program staff, serving as a bridge between programs and funders. As part of this structure, the SDS will become familiar with our work on jobs and housing, early childhood care and education, income supports, and immigration reform. The SDS must build good relationships, internally and externally, and cultivate an instinct for development opportunities and alignment between funders’ interests and our economic justice programs. The SDS must also be able to tell the story of the organization and its work in a way that moves funders toward larger gifts and deeper relationships while consistently advancing our brand strategy and organizational voice. The SDS needs to be able to move at the real-time pace of community organizing. He or she should also have a collegial spirit and a good sense of humor. In addition, we require:
- Five years of professional experience, including a minimum of two years of grant writing for a non-profit organization;
- Superb writing skills that persuasively and passionately convey complex ideas and concepts;
- Familiarity with standard methods of foundation solicitation and cultivation;
- Ability to speak the languages of community organizers, change makers, and funders;
- Keen attention to detail, including strong editing skills and familiarity with AP Style;
- Experience using Raiser’s Edge;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office;
- Proven ability to learn quickly, work independently, meet multiple deadlines, and perform under pressure;
- Ability to work and collaborate with diverse staff and strong personalities throughout the organization, in person and remotely; and
- Demonstrated commitment to Community Change’s mission.
This person reports to: Deputy Director of Development Strategy and Senior Writer
Community Change recognizes a staff bargaining unit affiliated with IFPTE Local 70, a union for non-profit workers. This position is included in Community Change’s bargaining unit and covered under the terms of the collective bargaining agreement.
Salary and benefits: $65,000 – $75,000 annual salary. Community Change also offers an excellent benefits package, which includes 4 weeks of annual paid vacation; additional paid holiday leave between December 24 and January 1; 8% employer contribution to retirement account after six months of employment (and 3% employer contribution for the first 6 months); and a choice of generous health insurance plans.
This position is located in Washington, DC.
Closing Date of Position: Open Until Filled
How to apply: Please click here to submit a cover letter sharing your personal interest as well as salary expectations, a resume, and two writing samples.
Community Change is an Equal Opportunity Employer